From the Heartland

This is my soap box, on these pages I publish my opinions on firearms and any other subject I feel like writing about.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Redneck Survival Center eliminating Layaway service


It has just come to my attention that Wal-Mart is planning to discontinue offering Layaway services. The "Target" (pun intended) date for implimentation of this corporate wide policy is November 19th.

If you use Wal-Marts layaway service to get your Christmas shopping done you might keep this in mind and get your gifts on layaway before that date.

I have no idea what prompted this move but as consumers it may not be too late to let Wal-Marts corprate managers know how you feel about it.

It would seem that this policy would alienate the people that Wal-Mart relies on most; lower and middle income shoppers. The fact is the only way many can afford larger ticket items such as TV's, Computers and the like is on a payment plan like layaway. Without access to a service like layaway, these consumers are likely to look alse where for these items.

If it is true that Wal-Mart is discontinuing this service, and I have no doubt it is, I see it driving many of their customers to "Rent to Own" businesses or the vary least other stores that still offer a layaway plan.

Note to Wal-Mart Bigwigs: Yes I have a relative that works for Wal-Mart. But that relative has, for the last few weeks been on sick leave. To my knowledge said relative is not even yet aware of the November 19th change in policy. The information for this article was not gleaned from that source. The truth is I probably found out before that Wal-Mart employee (relative) has. I will be asking about that later today.

UPDATE 9/15/2k6 1043 hrs: Okay folks pardon me while I feel just a wee bit smug.

I scooped the Journal Star.

And let me add just one more tidbit; The powers that be at Wal-Mart are also considering putting their employees in uniforms.