From the Heartland

This is my soap box, on these pages I publish my opinions on firearms and any other subject I feel like writing about.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Firearms update

I don't know if I mentioned this in past postings or not, but a few months ago I aquired a Mossberg SSI- One in 30-06 caliber. I mounted a Simmons 44 Mag scope on it before taking it to the range. Regretfully all I had time for was to get the thing on paper. We set up the target and put a box of shells through it at 25 yards. Shooting three shot groups all of the shots in each group were touching or practically in the same hole. Yea I know it was only 25 yards but they look good on paper and the wife hung one of the targets on the refridgerator when I got home. After that we spent a half a box of shells shooting at 20 ounce Mountain Dew bottles filled with water and set at 100 yrds. Not serious shooting I know but it was fun.

The one thing, besides the apparent accuracy, that I like about the gun is the interchangable barrels. The firearm has the lines of a Ruger Number 1 but breaks open like the Thompson Center Encore. Barrels are available in 30-06, 308, 270, 243, 22-250, 233, and 12 gauge. The 22 caliber barrels can be had in either standard barrel or bull barrel configuration. I may end up with one of the 22 caliber barrels one day.

There are two barrels available in 12 gauge; One is described as a Turkey barrel, in that it has an extra tight choke and is specifically made to hunt thanksgiving dinner. The other one is a rifled barrel for those that choose to or by law have to hunt their Big Game with a Shotgun. I have also aquired a 12 gauge rifled barrel and it is now installed on the SSi receiver and topped with a Bushnell 1.5 - 4 power Shotgun scope. I am really looking forward to getting out and shooting that barrel. Since, as it turns out, I don't have a handgun that is legal to hunt deer with in the State of Ohio this will most likely be the firearm I use for a planned hunt there this fall.

Hopefully I will be able to get out and do some shooting with the SSI and the 12 gauge barrel soon. When I do I will have a full report on it.

No comments: