From the Heartland

This is my soap box, on these pages I publish my opinions on firearms and any other subject I feel like writing about.

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Hunting & Shooting in the Lincoln Area

I was recently asked in the comment section of one of my posts about shooting/hunting clubs in the Lincoln, Nebraska area. This has not been the first time I have been queried about that, so maybe it deserves more than a reply in the comments section.

Lincoln Trap & Skeet Club
In the city of Lincoln itsself there is the Lincoln Trap & Skeet Club. This is a very well run and equipped club. I am not a member there every year as I don't shoot a lot of clay pigeons. (Some of the people I hunt with probably think I should spend more time there, but hey I bag my share of birds) The Lincoln club has liberal open shooting hours and has league shooting just about year round. The people I have met and shot with there are all great people.

Izaak Walton League
Just outside of Lincoln to the Southeast is the Izaak Walton club and shooting range. They also have a trap and skeet facility. In addition to that they have a 100yrd rifle range, an archery range, a 7, 25 and 50 yard pistol range. The "Ike" is host to a large number of events every year as well. These include metalic silhouette shooting for centerfire and rimfire, bowling pin shooting and many other contests. The open shooting hours for members is generally sun up to sundown 7 days a week unless there is a contest on a specific range.

Weeping Water
Also in the area is the Weeping Water shooting facility, in truth I have not been to this range yet but I fully intend to. Although I do know some of the people involved in the management of it. Weeping Water is a membership club as well and hosts any number of contests involving the various shooting diciplines.
(ed.... I have already been told by the wife that we will be participating in the bowling pin shoots there next summer)

Heartland Hunts
Run by Brent Nisley, Heartland Hunts is a quality experience in bird hunting. I have known Brent for several years now and have hunted with him and his champion dogs. If you do not own a dog and are looking for an affordable
hunting experience this is the place to go if you are in the southeastern Nebraksa area.

Salt Valley Hunts and Kennels
I'm not sure if Joe has a website or not but his listing can be found on the page at Sporting Nebraska and the author of this article at the Outdoor Lodge writes about his experience there. I have known Joe for a period of time and have hunted with him and his dogs as well.

A quick internet search will reveal other hunt club/shooting ranges, but these are the ones I am familiar with and personally know the reputation of the people that run them.

Update 10/08: I originally wrote this post to answer a request made in the comments section of another entry. The request was for shooting/hunting club information and that is what I wrote about. Thinking back to what I did write I wondered if readers would get the idea that the only hunting and shooting allowed in the area was a club activity.

That is not the case. There are acres upon acres of public land within a few miles of Lincoln that is available for fishing, hunting and shooting sports. In fact several of the State recreation areas have archery and trap ranges on them. Use of the trap ranges requires you to bring your own thrower and clay pigeons, but other than having the yearly park permit there is no cost for usage.

Also any number of property owners in the area will allow access to their lands if permission is asked. The single biggest violation Conservation Officers ticket in Nebraska is for trespassing. State law requies anyone to obtain permission from the property owner BEFORE entering upon private property.

No comments: